Thursday, April 10, 2008

A Garden Update: Critter Protection 101

crazy monkey with miracle grow garden

It's a beautiful sunny day over here, so here's a garden update for all you crazy monkey fans. Today I added some blue powder to water which makes a magical formula called "Miracle Grow". I'm expecting some 50 feet tall Broccoli, Squash and Tomato Plants now. I accidentally spilled a bit on one of my feet so I'm hoping it doesn't become a lot bigger.

I'm also researching how to keep those pesky deer, rabbits and other critters away. I have nothing against the other wildlife round here, but I do want my crops to grow rather than being their food. The owners of the property won't let me borrow their trusty family dog to keep outside 24/7, so I looked at Lowes' website on "Deer & Your Landscape".



It lists the following odd things you can use near your garden to scare off deer or others:

This list reads like Halloween night prank gone bad, but various applications of the following have been tried with mixed success. Unpleasant odors or odors associated with danger can keep pests away. As with many of the mechanical deterrents, a persistent deer is likely to become accustomed to these and resume feeding.

* Feces or urine from predators (such as lion or coyote)
* Hot pepper
* Garlic
* Rotten eggs
* Human hair

So it looks like I have to start eating more eggs, clipping hair off family members while they're sleeping, or go on a crazy adventure to catch a lion or coyote and make it urinate in a bucket.... Yeah that'll keep the deer and everyone else away!...Rabbit fencing it is!

crazy monkey on tractor

Time to get to work and mow the lawn here...Gotta earn my keep before the weekend! Have fun folks...

Labels: , ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home